The Douro Valley produces no small amount of wine – beyond the reds and whites, though, the region is known for one thing in particular: Port. This trip will cover the Douro’s fascinating culture and give you the chance to taste some of the region’s finest fortified wines.
- Stay in a cosy boutique 3* hotel in the centre of Porto only minutes away from the riverside and all of Porto’s finest shops, bars and cafes.
- Enjoy a tour through the stunning Douro Valley and visit some of the region’s most impressive sights.
- Visit a vineyard and Port house with an introduction to the production of the fortified wine and a tasting of the local produce.
After arriving in the city of Porto, you’ll settle into your 3* accommodation – a grand old hotel right in the city centre. In the afternoon, head out into the town to discover the city’s fascinating cultural scene. In the evening, you’ll take part in a Port tasting at a local producer in Vila Nova de Gaia, a bustling town just across the Douro from Porto. Here, at one of the country’s finest Port producers, you’ll receive a tour of the lodge and cellars before taking part in a tasting of the produce.
Today, you’ll head out onto a tour through the magical scenery of the Douro Valley – your English speaking driver and guide will take you first to Amarante to see some of the sights before continuing to Régua, where you will take part in a Port wine tasting in a local vineyard. Afterward, you’ll visit the magnificent old railway station at Pinhão before a visit to the historic centre of Vila Real.
Today is yours to explore some more of Porto (or just relax in your hotel) before returning home.
- Upgrades are available and this itinerary serves simply as a guideline – we’ll be happy to alter any details around your needs or wishes and include travel and accommodation.
- The day tour is semi private and may include some other wine enthusiasts – still allowing for an intimate experience with the wine makers themselves. Private tours can also be arranged.
- This itinerary is based on a 3* accommodation but please note that we have a wide range of hotel options available – just let us know what you’re looking for.