The Loire Valley is pretty famously pretty. If you take some of that prettiness – most noticeable in the jaw-dropping châteaux which line the riverside – and build a city out of it, then you’ve basically got Tours. This is your chance to see and experience all of that – all-in-all, rather lovely. Oh, and it doesn’t hurt do it for a bargain, either.
- Stay in a charming hotel in Tours, only minutes’ walk away from all of the city’s most exciting places to go, and only a few streets away from the banks of the River Loire itself.
- Visit the villages of Candes St. Martin and Chinon – two historic riverside communes with histories as rich as the villages themselves are pretty.
- Taste a range of local wines, including the reds (a rarity in the Loire) which stem from the Chinon AOC, made from the Cabernet Franc grape.
Settling into your 3* accommodation in the very centre of Tours, you’ll want to take full advantage of your hotel’s location by heading out to see some of Tours’ magnificent architecture or wonderful sights – or maybe just its fantastic array of bars, restaurants and shops.
Today, you’ll head out on a full day’s wine touring around the Loire Valley. In the morning, you’ll visit Candes St. Martin – one of France’s most beautiful villages, set on the banks of the Vienne and Loire – before a three course lunch of local specialities with a range of accompanying wines. Afterwards, you’ll travel to Chinon, in the heart of the Val de Loire, for an introduction to the history and culture of the town before a visit to a local family domaine for a tour and a tasting of the superb local wines. You’ll sample between 6 and 10 wines at each of the wineries.
The morning is yours to enjoy Tours and see some more of its many, many sights, before returning home.
- Upgrades are available and this itinerary serves simply as a guideline – we’ll be happy to alter any details around your needs or wishes and include travel and accommodation.
- The day tour is semi private and may include some other wine enthusiasts – still allowing for an intimate experience with the wine makers themselves. Private tours can also be arranged.
- This itinerary is based on a 3* accommodation but please note that we have a wide range of hotel options available – just let us know what you’re looking for.