You can do the Loire Valley in a couple of days. You can probably even do it in one. But for a true, comprehensive experience of everything the Garden of France has to offer, you’ll want to go all-in with four days of wine tours and tastings at the very best domaines and vineyards in the region.
- Stay in a charming hotel in Tours, only minutes’ walk away from all of the city’s most exciting places to go, and only a few streets away from the banks of the River Loire itself.
- Visit the villages of Candes St. Martin, Chinon and Saumur.
- Taste a range of local wines, including the reds (a rarity in the Loire) which stem from the Chinon AOC, made from the Cabernet Franc grape, and the Cabernet Franc reds and legendary sparkling wines of Saumur.
Settling into your 3* accommodation in the very centre of Tours, you’ll want to take full advantage of your hotel’s location by heading out to see some of Tours’ magnificent architecture or wonderful sights – or maybe just its fantastic array of bars, restaurants and shops.
Today, you’ll head out on a full day’s wine touring around the Loire Valley. In the morning, you’ll visit Candes St. Martin – one of France’s most beautiful villages, set on the banks of the Vienne and Loire – before a three course lunch of local specialities with a range of accompanying wines. Afterwards, you’ll travel to Chinon, in the heart of the Val de Loire, for an introduction to the history and culture of the town before a visit to a local family domaine for a tour and a tasting of the superb local wines. You’ll sample between 6-10 wines at each of the wineries.
Today, you’ll set off for another foray into the Loire Valley for a visit to Saumur, one of the Loire’s finest wine sub-regions, as well as one of the most famous château in the Loire, with a lunch of local delicacies and accompanying wines followed by a tasting at a small, family-owned domaine to round off the day.
The morning is yours to enjoy Tours and see some more of its many, many sights, before returning home.
- Upgrades are available and this itinerary serves simply as a guideline – we’ll be happy to alter any details around your needs or wishes and include travel and accommodation.
- The day tours are semi private and may include some other wine enthusiasts – still allowing for an intimate experience with the wine makers themselves. Private tours can also be arranged.
- This itinerary is based on a 3* accommodation but please note that we have a wide range of hotel options available – just let us know what you’re looking for.