Located in the shadow of the same name, Corbières is the largest AOC in Languedoc. Considering Languedoc’s truly heroic output of wine quantities, that means one important thing: they make an almost incomprehensible amount of wine here. Throw in the rustic, natural beauty of Languedoc itself and you’ve got a trip that’s perfect for people after a bit of peace and quiet – and a whole lot of wine.
- Stay in Carcassonne, at the foot of the gates of the magnificent citadel which makes up the city’s most iconic facet.
- Tour the stunning Languedoc countryside as you visit some of the region’s oldest vineyards and enjoy a home-cooked lunch in the village of Lagrasse
- Taste a dozen different wines over the course of your trip, including the highly prevalent (yet strangely relatively unknown) Carignan variety, as well as blends which include Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre, and some of the rarer Corbières white wines – think Grenache Blanc, Marsanne and Rousanne.
First, check in to your 3* accommodation (with a bottle waiting for you on arrival, of course) right beside the iconic Cité Médiévale de Carcassonne, perfectly located next to all of the city’s best shops, bars and restaurants. Take the evening to wander those little cobbled streets and stumble across all of the even littler secrets that the city has to offer.
Your first wine tour of the day will take place in a family-owned domaine in Monseret – set amongst vineyards which have existed since the Roman era, and the only cru in the Corbières. After a tasting here of the estate’s finest wines, you’ll head off for a lunch cooked in the home of a former restauranteuse in the village of Lagrasse, before receiving a guided history tour of the village. Finally, you’ll set off for a family-owned winery which produces some of the very few white wines that can be found in the region – another tour and tasting here, before returning to Carcassonne.
The morning is yours to explore some more of Carcassonne (or perhaps wander the surrounding countryside) before catching your flight back home.
- Upgrades are available and this itinerary serves simply as a guideline – we’ll be happy to alter any details around your needs or wishes and include travel and accommodation.
- The day tour is semi private and may include some other wine enthusiasts – still allowing for an intimate experience with the wine makers themselves. Private tours can also be arranged.
- This itinerary is based on a 3* accommodation but please note that we have a wide range of hotel options available – just let us know what you’re looking for.