There’s only one thing they do better in the South of France than wine, and that’s food – and if there’s one thing that’s absolutely integral to Mediterranean cuisine, that’s olive oil. Visit the quaint hamlet of Le Somail to learn about – and taste – both.
- Stay in Carcassonne, at the foot of the gates of the magnificent citadel which makes up the city’s most iconic facet.
- Try a range of different olive oils at one of the foremost independent producers of it in France, before experiencing it in action with a seafood lunch.
- Taste up to twelve wines over the course of the trip, including the wines of La Clape – an appellation frequently ranked amongst the best in the South of France, and which excels in its use of the Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre grapes.
First, check in to your 3* accommodation (with a bottle waiting for you on arrival, of course) right beside the iconic Cité Médiévale de Carcassonne, perfectly located next to all of the city’s best shops, bars and restaurants. Take the evening to wander those little cobbled streets and stumble across all of the even littler secrets that the city has to offer.
You’ll start your day with a visit to an olive oil producer – one of the best around – for an introduction to how it’s made and a tasting of a number of oils of a whole range of different flavours, before taking a short cruise along the stunning Canal du Midi to Le Somail, during which you’ll receive an introduction to (and tasting of) Languedoc’s wines. Afterwards, you’ll have a seafood lunch in Gruissan with locally-farmed oysters and fresh fish before the opportunity to visit the salt museum. Finally, a visit to La Clape and one of the region’s seaside châteaux for a tour of the winery and a tasting of the wines, before returning to Carcassonne.
The morning is yours to explore some more of Carcassonne (or perhaps wander the surrounding countryside) before catching your flight back home.
- Upgrades are available and this itinerary serves simply as a guideline – we’ll be happy to alter any details around your needs or wishes and include travel and accommodation.
- The day tour is semi private and may include some other wine enthusiasts – still allowing for an intimate experience with the wine makers themselves. Private tours can also be arranged.
- This itinerary is based on a 3* accommodation but please note that we have a wide range of hotel options available – just let us know what you’re looking for.