Chablis might well be Burgundy’s greatest asset; the region – based around the town of the same name – is famed for its dry white Chardonnays. With this trip, you’ll delve not only into the viticulture but also the rich history of Chablis and all of its wines.
- Stay in a charming guesthouse, in the town of Chablis itself, set inside an 18th century mill.
- Spend an evening learning the history of Chablis and its wines with a tasting in l’Obédiencerie, located in the cellars of your hotel.
- Tour the surrounding vineyards with visits to three domains and an in-depth look at the dry, flinty Chardonnay wines which characterise the Chablis region.
After arriving into Chablis, you’ll settle in to your accommodation. This guesthouse, which was a mill in the 18th century, is friendly, charming, and produces its fair share of wines to boot. You’ll get a taste for those wines – as well as an introduction to the history, wine-making techniques and terroir of the region – with a tasting in l’Obédiencerie, a former monastery of the monks who founded Chablis in the 9th century, which is owned by the hotel. Expect to taste at least four wines of all local classifications during the evening.
Today, you’ll head out into the vineyards around Chablis for a tour of some of the local wineries. You’ll visit three over the course of the day (with a three-course lunch and accompanying wines in the middle) and get a full run-through of how wine is made in the region. The wines of the region are primarily dry whites and made from Chardonnay – a grape which you’ll be hard-pressed to find better-utilised anywhere else in the world.
The time is yours this morning to do what you like – whether that’s exploring some more of Chablis or just relaxing in the hotel – before returning to the airport and setting off back home.
- Upgrades are available and this itinerary serves simply as a guideline – we’ll be happy to alter any details around your needs or wishes and include travel and accommodation.
- The day tour is semi private and may include up to five other wine enthusiasts – still allowing for an intimate experience with the wine makers themselves. Private tours can also be arranged.
- This itinerary is based on a 2* accommodation but please note that we have a wide range of hotel options available – just let us know what you’re looking for.